Translate

Sunday 11 January 2015

BLOG (PERSONAL) -- Perspectives/Memories in 2014, Top Whatevers, Top Exposures, and New Year's Resolutions

I should have blogged about this a week ago. *Sigh* It looks like I'm behind on almost everything in my life. I also got a little sad when reviewing my resolutions for 2014 because I didn't complete many of them. You can take a look right below:


(REVIEW) New Year's Resolutions for 2014
- "Work out" at least once a week -- NOPE (After this being in my resolutions for 2 years, I think I've kinda given up on achieving this. Maybe it'll work out much better if it's NOT a resolution... maybe...)

- Save money -- DONE (I was cutting it very close this time -- I hit my target amount in the last month)

- Spend at least 100 hours on learning Python -- NOPE (*sigh* I think I spent about 1 hour on this)

- Spend at least 100 hours on learning Japanese -- NOPE (*sigh again* I think I spent about 5 hours on this)

- Finish "scripting" my text-based game that I started about 4 years ago -- NOPE (I didn't get any further on this)

- Create a text-based game -- NOPE (I didn't even start, though I had some ideas) 

- Create at least 1 story (short story, play, whatever) -- NOPE (Nope ><)

- Create at least 1 song with the Hatsune Miku English program -- NOPE (I didn't even open the program this year ><)

- Watch at least 20 (or ALL) anime series I haven't watched that are in my collection -- NOPE (I finished watching 11 series)

- Read at least 5 (or ALL) books (not manga) I haven't read that are in my collection -- NOPE (I read manga... but I didn't read any books this year... >.> ... =.=')

- - Listen to at least 10 (or ALL) music CDs I haven't listened to that are in my collection -- DONE (All Original Soundtracks to: Le Portrait de Petite Cossette | R.O.D. | Sakura Wars: The Movie | KamiChu! | Fate/Stay Night | Lunar Legend Tsukihime (both soundtracks) | Boogiepop Phantom | Ergo Proxy | Shakugan no Shana)

- Expose myself to at least 20 games that I physically own -- NOPE (I exposed myself to 7 games this year)

- Expose myself to at least 10 games that I digitally own -- DONE (Bravely Default Demo [it was its own game so I'm counting it] | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Outlast | The Starship Damrey | Bugs vs. Tanks | Crimson Shroud | Attack of the Friday Monsters | Liberation Maiden | Weapon Shop de Omasse)

- Beat at least 5 games that I physically own -- DONE (Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Extend | Shadow Hearts | Call of Duty: Ghosts [I spent over 100 hours on this -- I consider it beaten] | Shin Megami Tensei IV | Legacy of Ys: Book I & II || + 7 more physical games)

- Beat at least 5 games that I digitally own -- DONE (Bravely Default Demo [it was its own game so I'm counting it] | Mario's Picross | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Resogun | Warrior's Way || + 3 more digital games)

- Read up to the latest chapter in the One Piece manga -- NOPE (I'm still around chapter 600)

- Take that trip to Japan -- DONE (I did! Here's the first blog if you want to check it out: http://ironixgirl.blogspot.ca/2014/05/blog-my-trip-to-japan-prelude-plane.html)

To sum up: Out of my 17 resolutions, I only completed 6. I am very disappointed in myself >< I'm especially upset that I didn't set aside time through the year to learn Python or Japanese. And... well... I kinda know what's been taking up so much of my time. Since I'm so disappointed in myself, I'm going to have about the same resolutions this year as last year (with a couple removed) and one new added resolution. It's a 3-part progressive resolution and it's listed at the bottom. If I can achieve and stay at the last part by the end of 2015, I'm going to treat myself to something super fancy.


New Year's Resolutions for 2015
- Save money 
- Spend at least 100 hours on learning Python
- Spend at least 100 hours on learning Japanese
- Create a text-based game 
- Create at least 1 story (short story, play, whatever)
- Create at least 1 song with the Hatsune Miku English program
- Watch at least 20 (or ALL) anime series I haven't watched that are in my collection
- Read at least 5 (or ALL) books (not manga) I haven't read that are in my collection
- Listen to at least 10 (or ALL) music CDs I haven't listened to that are in my collection
- Expose myself to at least 20 games that I physically own
- Expose myself to at least 10 games that I digitally own
- Beat at least 5 games that I physically own
- Beat at least 5 games that I digitally own
- Read up to the latest chapter in the One Piece manga -- simply because I want to be all caught up.
- Part 1: For two days a week, spend AT MOST 3 hours each day on Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
- Part 2: For three days a week, spend AT MOST 3 hours each day on Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. One of those three days has to be a weekend.
- Part 3: For five days a week, spend AT MOST 3 hours each day on Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. One of those five days has to be a weekend.


Yeah, you read that last bit right. This year I'd like to try kicking my FFXIV addiction. I lost my soul to FFXIV in 2014 and I want it back this year. Now... I am no way saying that I regret playing the game. I enjoy a lot of aspects and I still enjoy a lot of it. It's just... well... it surprised me with just how many different emotions and experiences I had in a span of just less than one year. This might be an exaggeration, but it almost felt like I experienced a lifetime in there. I had great adventures; had terrible adventures; found some dear friends; lost some dear friends; felt love; felt heartache; dealt heartache (unfortunately); felt happiness; felt betrayal; felt sadness. Now my character on my original server is getting married in-game soon to somebody I consider a friend. I'm not even married in real life (and I'm not in a rush). When I think of all I experienced and all the I progression I made in-game compared to my current non-progression in real life... I think I need to take a step back and find some balance. 

I'm sure some of you would suggest just quitting the game altogether. My response to that is: unless my financial situation changes or all my friends quit the game, I'll still be there. There are some friends there whom I cherish greatly, and I'd rather not lose that connection if I can help it.

This resolution will probably be one of the tougher ones to achieve, but I'm hoping that doing it will allow me time to finish my other resolutions! My room is much more cluttered compared to last year. If I don't do something about it... 



2014 in Review
So 2014 was full of online experiences -- some I wish I could forget (but I know I will never be able to); others I'll hold close to me for the rest of my life. It's interesting to think that something so far away can make such a large impact on one's life. 

Non-online-wise, besides going on that trip to Japan, I found that I was very much an observer this year -- where I'd witness changes around me, but not see many changes with myself. I almost feel like I'm in some chrysalis / cocoon state. Maybe I'm waiting for something to happen. Maybe I'm at the major wall called "Change" -- fearful that I might break through if I did something differently. Or... maybe I'm just hitting my mid-life crisis. You can never be too young for a mid-life crisis.

Whatever the case, I did not feel like I've made much progress in my real life in 2014. However, I'm not even sure what "progress" would really mean for my real life at this point. Is it me moving out? Me getting a boyfriend and possibly marrying him (if things went that way)? Or is it just me trying to find time to accomplish my new year's resolutions? I don't know. At the end of the year, I just know that I felt a bit unfinished -- like I really could have done more.

"My theme song" this year: It's Time by Imagine Dragons. I was first exposed to this song on my birthday. It really spoke to me then, and it still speaks to me now. And -- surprise surprise -- it's mainly about staying yourself regardless of the changes happening around you. I guess Change is something I kind of fear. I sometimes fear that if I change, that I will change for the worst, and I would never want that.


So here is me singing It's Time. I recorded this when karaoking with my friends one time. It's my first time singing it so it's not the best. And just like with all my other song recordings, the video is blank so just click the "Play" button and do something else. The other voices you hear at the beginning are my friends.



Notable/Significant Memories/Events in 2014
Used Skype, Raidcall, and Teamspeak for the first time: I've only used Raidcall and Teamspeak once so I don't remember how to use those at all. I don't Skype anymore, but I used to chat with a couple friends there.

Visited Japan: What can I say -- I enjoyed it immensely, and will definitely go back.

Attended Fan Expo 2014: This was a slightly different experience since I attended it with a friend.

Experienced a bachelorette party (for a friend) for the first time: I had no idea what to expect. It was fun! Thankfully there were no strippers.

Attended my cousin's wedding: This was interesting.

Attended my friend's wedding reception: I would have attended her wedding, but it was scheduled on the same day as my cousin's wedding.

Spending time with my friends (Online AND Offline): This is always going to be mentioned here. Friends mean so much to me.

Attended RePlay Symphony + Distant Worlds: Music From Final Fantasy: I'm always happy to express my love for video game music. It's just too bad that the RePlay symphony was such a let-down for me.

Experienced "a lifetime" in Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn: I don't think I need to say any more about this, hahaha.


Top Whatevers in 2014
This is my top list of what was released in 2014 that I experienced. I was surprised that I actually experienced some more current things this time, unlike the last years.

(Anime): Mushi-shi OVA 
I forgot to mention this in my end-of-month blogs, but I watched it and enjoyed it. The music is lovely and the story is pretty heartfelt. You can watch it legitimately on Crunchy Roll: http://www.crunchyroll.com/mushi-shi/videos. It's Episode 1 in the OVA section.

(Movie): Tie between Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Big Hero 6
When I thought about it, I really couldn't choose between these two movies. I loved them both so much. I really appreciated the character relationship between Captain America and Black Widow in Captain America. I really loved the emotional core of Big Hero 6 -- and of course Baymax.

(Video Game): Weapon Shop de Omasse [3DS]
I don't get to play this often, but when I do, I always enjoy every minute of it. The dialogue is funny. The characters are entertaining. The gameplay is addictive (at least, to me). It's a fun little gem. <3

(Song - English): Immortals by Fall-Out Boy
Sometimes when I think about this song, I still tear up, thinking about its meaning. This is the theme song for Big Hero 6.

(Song - Japanese): Unravel by TK from Ling Tosite Sigure
This is the opening theme for this anime series called Tokyo Ghoul. I've never seen the series myself, but a friend recommended this song to me. Since we're not really talking very much anymore, it hurts a bit when I listen to this. But I still enjoy the song a lot.


Top Exposures in 2014
This is my top list of what I was exposed to this year, regardless of what year it really came out in. Any titles with two years indicate the original release date, then the English release date.

(Anime): Dusk Maiden of Amnesia (2012/2013)
I really enjoyed the romance and emotion in this series. Even though many people didn't like the ending, I did.

(TV show): Veronica Mars (2004-2007)
Even though I didn't enjoy the 3rd season so much, I really enjoyed the series overall. I generally liked Veronica's character as well as many of the secondary characters. The relationship dynamic between Veronica and her father was also very sweet and fun. Now I just have to watch the movie.

(Movie): Tie between Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Big Hero 6 (2014)
I didn't realize it before but I watched a lot of terrible non-2014 movies this year, haha. I blame this on Red Box offering free weekly movie rentals during one month. My thought mentality was, 'Cool. I better watch something I wouldn't want to buy'. Ha...

(Video Game): Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (2013) [PS3/PS4]
This sucked my life for the better part of the year. Of course it's going to get the spotlight for top exposure.

(Song - English): The First Time of My Life by Bright Eyes (2005)
A friend suggested this, and I'm glad that he did. Otherwise, I never would have experienced such a nice, peaceful song ('cuz I don't normally listen to music like this). I absolutely love the lyrics.

(Song - Japanese): Requiem by Nao Hiiragi (2012?)
This is a song from Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. It's a sad song, but I really like it.

(Manga): Midnight Secretary (2006-2009/2013-2014)
In all honesty, I had read scanlations of this series long ago. Then it got licensed, and I bought the physical volumes. I think that says something about how much I enjoyed it.

(Character): Baymax (from Big Hero 6)
Ahhh... Baymax. I wish he was real -- I wanna give him a big hug and have him as my health companion. I'm currently on a search for a Baymax plushie so I could hug him everyday. Hopefully they will be more widely available now that Christmas has passed.


-----------------------------------

And that's that for my review of 2014.

Last year, I noted a few things / changes that I anticipated in 2014. Here they are again and what happened with them:
- Having less media in my collection (This didn't happen)
- Possibly subscribing my life away to Final Fantasy XIV (Yes, this totally did happen)
- Possibly preparing to move out (This didn't happen)
- A completely new experience (Yes -- Japan did this; FFXIV did this as well)
- Bags under my eyes, and tons of it (Yes, this totally did happen, unfortunately)

 
Now, here are a few things / changes I anticipate in 2015 for me:
- Having less media in my collection (Please, please let this happen!! ><'')
- Finding myself in a different environment (I'm not sure if this would be online or in real life, but I kinda sense it)
- Spending less money on media (Unless I can go through my collection at a good pace, I foresee this happening for sure)  
- Changing (It's something I dread, but I think it is going to happen no matter how I feel about it)



If you've made it this far, thanks for reading! I hope that 2015 will be an awesome year for you all. Just like last year (and again, I blame my work for me getting excited over this), here's a % breakdown of my spending in 2014 (excluding necessities like my cell phone plan, transportation expenses, etc.). Click on the image to enlarge it.


Just like last year, I think I need to spend more money on clothes. When I checked my budget to see what purchases made "Misc" so high after splitting out "Movie / Event Tickets" and "Gift Items" this time, I was surprised to see the culprit: anime / video game figures! I often don't buy figures so it was an interesting insight, hahaha.

And now... here's something more interesting (to me). Again, click on the image to enlarge it:

After lumping back all the split out categories so I could compare my spending to last year, some of my spending habits didn't change while others did. I really need to spend less money on games and more money on clothes, hahaha.



Thanks again for reading! Happy belated New Year. Now to put my new resolution into motion. Next week will be a blog I enjoy doing every year: My "list of movies I've watched in theatres for the year" blog. Take care everybody! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment