Translate

Sunday 30 September 2012

BLOG -- Canada's Baking and Sweets Show 2012

So yesterday (Saturday September 29), I did not check out Nuit Blanche. One reason was that I kept forgetting that was the day. Another reason was that I already was attending something. And by the time I was done, I was sooo tired and achy! 

Yesterday, my sister and I attended Canada's Baking and Sweets Show. At first, we were reluctant to go because of the location. It took place at the International Centre -- really far west of downtown Toronto. But then, after participating in a giveaway event, I was lucky to get free tickets to the show (thanks, Monkey Butter!).

So yesterday, my sister and I woke up around 8:00 AM, left the house at 10:00 AM, and made the 2-hour TTC commute to the International Centre. It was our first time attending.


THE BEGINNING (12:15-ish PM)
Before entering the exhibitor room, we received a welcome bag that had some flyers and a free tube of icing. How sweet!


Stepping inside, I already knew two booths I wanted to hit: Monkey Butter and Mad Batter Bakers (when I'm a fan, I tend to be a loyal fan). Like when we attended the One of a Kind Show, my sister and I started at the nearest corner and snaked around the aisles, trying samples and taking mental notes of which places to go back to. 

Thankfully, the exhibitor room wasn't massively large. It wasn't too small either. I think it was the right size. If it was any larger, I probably wouldn't be able to try out all the samples, and that would make me sad. Outside of the exhibitor's room, there was a room for hands-on demo classes. We didn't get to check it out, but I remember seeing somebody walk out of that room, holding a plain white cake (looks like it was waiting to be decorated). 

When my sister and I reached the Monkey Butter booth, I bought some jars immediately. I didn't want to risk the same thing that happened at the One of a Kind Show where I would wait till the end and come back to see that they're all sold out. I gotta get my Monkey Butter fix! :3

On one end of the exhibitor room, there were cake displays from one of their cake competitions. The theme was Christmas.

A shot of some of the cakes.


I like how Santa Claus looks stuck in the chimney (I'm sure he's supposed to look like he's climbing up or out of the chimney, but that's what it looks like to me)


This is the contest winner. It does look really elaborate.


Another cake.


I really like this cake. I love the idea of it.


Just look at the detail. It's so neat!


Sponsor cake.

After walking some more, my sister and I found another cake competition display. We're not completely sure what the theme was for this one:

I was hoping this would be the winning cake. It looks so cool.


The green cakes look elegant.


I really like the simplicity of the cake. And the detail of the purple flowers.


Look at those flowers!


This is the winning cake. It's elaborate, but somehow it doesn't wow me.

One neat booth that we checked out was this company that specialized in making custom cakes. They had some on display and they were really cool.


Sandwich cake!


This cake is just unique. It looks like magic.


This cake is cute.


I would have loved to see this cake in real life.


THE END + PURCHASES (2:30-ish PM)
When we finally reached the end, it was around 2:30 PM. We took next to no bench breaks, so we were super tired by then. That didn't stop us from going back to some booths and buying stuff. 

We finished and left the show around 3:15 PM. I think if we weren't lugging around tons of... well, yummy purchases... we would have stuck around for much longer.

Here are my purchases (I did not take any photos of what my sister got):

Monkey Butter!


Gluten-free chocolate cookies and a couple of rugelach.


Some baking gear.


Deliciously cute gingerbread.


 More deliciously cute gingerbread.




Total spendings:
Mine:
Monkey Butter -- $55 ($30 for two sampler jars; $25 for the rest)
Cupcake filling supplies -- $36.44
Mad Batter soft gingerbread cookies -- $42.68
Macaroon -- $1
TOTAL: $135.15

My sister:
Gluten-free chocolate cookies + rugelach -- $16.50
Sour gummies -- $3.00
Girl Scout cookies -- $5
Beef Empanada -- $6.00 
TOTAL: 30.50

TOTAL TOTAL: $165.65

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS
Overall, Canada's Baking and Sweet show was pretty neat. I know that if I had more time (and if I wasn't carrying so many goodies), I would have checked out the demos, panels, etc. 

Next year, my sister and I will most likely go back. Hopefully it won't coincide with Nuit Blanche again, so I can check that out as well.

Thanks for reading! As always, if you have any questions or comments, please comment away! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment